24 February 2008

Return to School Tea

BECAUSE TODAY IS the last day of the February break, the kids wanted to 'celebrate' by having High Tea. But not just any High Tea -- High Tea that they would create from scratch all by themselves, and High Tea from 'the really olden days.' So while I went out for a bike ride, the kids (with a bit of help from Kerri, but not too much), created the following menu:

  • Tea (ok, I probably didn't need to tell you that)
  • tea sandwiches which they created and made on their own -- including egg salad, pb&j, cream cheese and capers (what?), smoked beef salami with butter, mayonaise, and bbq sauce (you can imagine how good those were)
  • small finger food items: olives, pickles, and the like
  • fresh-made scones (delicious) with a rasberry dipping sauce (rasberry jam mixed with some fromage blanc)

Kerri and I were not allowed to come to the Tea until we were dressed appropriately so I put on a suit and Kerri put on a nice dress (why do we do these things for our kids? It's a Sunday afternoon and I'm putting on a suit for a pretend Tea. I mean seriously, who's in charge of the family unit, the parents or the children?) Anyway, after getting properly dressed we sat down to a very formal, very olden days, very high-brow High Tea. And it was lovely.

We partied like it was 1799.

CJS

2 comments :

Penny said...

Yum, it sounds great! I miss high tea a lot :)

Monique Geisler said...

haha so cute :)

Hopefully they weren't kicking and screaming upon the return to classes today, like nearly half of my students were.

Which reminds me... ONE MONTH until the next one :)