23 February 2008

A New Favorite Sport/Activity

WE'RE BACK FROM a great trip to Chamonix where we introduced the kids to the world of downhill skiing. The good news is that they love it. The bad news is that they love it -- and now want to go all the time. I'll save some of the details about the trip for a later post, but here's a quick summary:

  • Chamonix-Mont Blanc: Wow! (My first time -- Kerri's been there a couple of times).
  • I didn't need chains, which is a good thing because I didn't have any with me. If it had snowed we would have been screwed.
  • Ski lift tickets are a lot cheaper in France than the US. The whole family skiied for a whole day for 95 Euros (that's 5 lift tickets!). I skiied at Copper Mountain in Colorado last year and it was $81 just for me.
  • Hotels aren't cheaper.
  • Ski lessons are worth it. Patrick and Julia had a 2 hour private lesson as soon as we got to the top of the mountain.
  • Be careful where you park (see video for more information)
  • Be sure to let your three-year old know that he can't wear the skis all the time. Henry ate lunch with his on -- at a table, mind you -- then screamed bloody murder (I'm talking really intense, graphic, bloody murder) when it was time to take them off at the end of the day.
  • When I'm going down the hill I think I look really good. Video evidence, however, suggests otherwise.
  • There's nothing quite like a nice cup of coffee at the top of a ski mountain.

Here's a little video clip we put together if you are interested. You can also watch it directly on You Tube if you want to see a larger version.


CJS

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

The video is great. What a beautiful place. I must go there.

Monique Geisler said...

oh my gosh, I loved skiing here!! The pace is soo different from whatever we're used to in the U.S., isn't it?

And I just remember thinking as we were leaving, "Wow, this is so much easier to get to than Tahoe (esp. since France lacks all the unnecessary traffic CA has)."

Unknown said...

Wow, we are impressed with the kids. They look like pros already. We are waiting for the video of Jonathan's skiing skills.
G & P

Penny said...

Yes, after that comment about your skiing skills I was keeping an eye out for you in the video- but unless I missed it you must have hit the cutting room floor!

I think we had the same holiday - just at different resorts! Your kids have got the chasse-neige down so fast! And I love Henry's turn - so good to start them at his age - it just comes naturally. Skiing with older kids must be fun (no tantrums, at least!). I am absolutely hooked on skiing after the last week - I cant wait to go back. Are there good beginner's slopes at Chamonix - I'll have the check out the map.

Penny :)

Anonymous said...

from "les houches" to "vallorcine", the chamonix valley is very big : where were you actually? and, do you know that in italy, in "val d'aoste"(i'm sure) and piemont (i think) you MUST have chains in your car from mid-october to mid-april ! if you are checked by the police without them, you get a big fine (more than 100 euros); and all year long, you must have in the car a fluorescent yellow jacket and a "triangle de signalisation"(sorry for my poor english); you were lucky !

French for a While said...

If stopped, I would have had to claim to be a stupid American. Thanks for the tip Annie.

French for a While said...

Oh, and we were in Les Houches.