25 February 2008

I'll See Your Insult and Raise You One

THAT APPEARS TO be the tactic used by French President Nicholas Sarkozy. As Sarko was making his way through a crowd this weekend a farmer refused to shake his hand, saying "don't touch me, you'll get me dirty' (I think that's a pretty good one). How did Sarkozy respond? Well, that's actually up for debate. His exact response was 'casse toi pauvre con', which apparently isn't easily translated into English. I've seen several translations that range from 'piss off you jerk' to 'get outta here you cretin' to 'get lost you a#@ hole' (I'm pulling for 'get lost you a#@ hole'). In any case, the French are having a grand time with this one as you might imagine. Our friend over at Jennie en France has the video clip (and a few thoughts) if you want to see it.
CJS

1 comment :

Senegal Daily said...

We watched the clip yesterday with my parents (they also speak French) and then had a nice long conversation about the versions of the translation. I have yet to find one I think is just right!