25 October 2007

Un cafe...a emporter, sil vous plait!

ROUGHLY TRANSLATED, THE above phrase reads, a coffee...'to go' please. The problem is I can't use this phrase in France!

Now that the weather has become cooler (quite cool in the mountains) I find myself craving coffee even more than usual. But not just the nice cup of espresso you can get an any of the dozens of cafes in the area. No, I find myself craving the most American of all coffees: Starbucks. But before you scream 'how American of you,' understand that I'm not craving Starbucks because it tastes any better than the coffee in the south of France, but because you can get a cup of Starbucks coffee and take it with you! In the car. Into the classroom. Shopping. In the car. You get the point.

Look, in France coffee is an experience; I get it. And it's a wonderful thing to take the time to relax with a cup of coffee at a nice cafe in the town square. But sometimes it's nice to drink coffee out of a cup that's bigger than a shot glass, that's all I'm saying. How has France survived for 2000 years without understanding that?
CJS

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm English and I'd love a Starbucks in town.

jackie. said...

just yesterday i enjoyed a venti vanilla latte from starbucks.

it was delicious, but definitely not an experience. more like "avoid the crazy people in silver spring" experience, not a relaxing, read the paper and sip an espresso experience.

jackie. said...

oh, i was just telling sam about my comment, and he said to remind me to point out that i got that venti vanilla latte AFTER enjoying a burrito bol from chipotle.

bye!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm....Timmy's!!!! On the go...it has become a way of life!

megan said...

I was just explaining to a French friend today about the joy of Starbucks and the "to go" experience! We just returned from Barcelona, and 4 days of glorious, large, caramelly, whipped creamy coffees to go!

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Oh my goodness, I did a post on this very subject, about the inability to get coffee to go in France...and if you do find a place that advertises it "emporter", you're in for a real suprise! If you want to check it out it's here:

http://cassouletcafe.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html