08 October 2007

Faux pas!

OKAY, I KNOW most of you have already heard this story by now but it is worth displaying since this faux pas label will be a definate recurring theme for me.

Upon our arrival in France, we immediately went exploring the various areas surrounding our lovely villiage of Le Rouret. In doing so, Jonathan found himself circling the same point-rond (I think that is how you say round about) about 20 times so he decided to abruptly pull over and ask directions. Fine, but he decided to pull up on my side of the car and rely on me to ask for directions. I have rehearsed this over and over again in my head so you would think I would have been completely fluent, however for those of you who know me, you also know that I can stress out very quickly, especially when being pushed and timed. I suddenly felt like I was in highschool preparing for my SAT's when Jonathan pulled up, rolled down my window and shouted to me, "okay, ask her." Oh my goodness, I almost peed my pants. I panicked and blurted out at this obviously French girl, "Parlez-vous Francais?" She stood there for what felt like an eternity until responding, "Eh, Oui," at which point I finally noticed my faux pas and was able to correct myself. There you have it.....faux pas numero un!
KRS

1 comment :

Ken Broadhurst said...

A traffic circle or roundabout is called a rond-point, not a point-rond. Or un carrefour giratoire. Keep working on the French though, it's good (and necessary if you live here).