03 December 2009

Back to School

GREAT RODNEY DANGERFIELD film, but that's not what I'm referring to. This weekend I will embark on a new, shall we say, adventure. Since I'm sure I'll make reference to it from time to time I figure I should mention it here if for no other reason than to give context for future posts. I'm headed back to school. Beginning this weekend I'll start working toward a doctorate degree in international relations. and here's the really odd part: I'm doing it in Geneva. Not moving to Geneva, just going to school there.

I'll be studying at the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations and this will require quite a few trips to Geneva between now and next year. The program basically requires two trimesters of coursework on location and the rest, including the thesis, is done through one-on-one interaction with an advisor -- but can be done via email and the internet.

As Kerri always says, this is as good a time as any to do this. A few other factors also play a role: 1) it's exactly the subject I've always wanted to do (well, besides Baseball History), 2) there is a combination of 'great program' and 'reasonable (relatively) cost' that I wouldn't be able to find in the US (the fact that the school is literally down the street from the UN and other international organizations -- not to mention affiliated with some of these organizations -- is key). 3) I can do this while keeping my day job -- which I have to do for obvious reasons. It also really helps to have an incredible supportive family.

The next several months will create some logistical nightmares, but in the end it will create opportunities that may not otherwise exist -- for both Kerri and me. At least that's our hope.

First semester classes (just for fun): International Law; The Democratic Challenge; The Rise of China; Religion and International Relations.

Fun Times.

No comments :