07 January 2009

St. Obama

IF YOU THINK Barack Obama is facing high expectations in the States, you should hear what people are saying over here. In the past couple of days I have spoken with three or four people who honestly seem to believe that the world will be noticable different on January 20. Middle East Crisis? No worry, Obama will make it all better. Financial Crisis? Relax, Obama will whip that into shape. Aids? Hunger? The Baltimore Orioles? No problem, Obama will fix everything.

OK, so I'm exaggerating a bit. But just a bit.

Take my premier history class today, for example. We happen to be talking about the Great Depression and FDR's New Deal (pretty good timing, no?) and we naturally began to discuss some of the similarities between the economic situations in the 1920s and 30s and those of today. It's fun for me because I get to spend a bit of time introducing and talking about some introductory principles of economics. Anyway, in the course of our discussion I asked my students to think about what role the government should play in times of economic crisis. We talked about the wide range of options that governments have -- from do-nothing (you might call this extreme capitalism) to do-everything (do Stalin's Five-Year Plans ring a bell?) and everything in between.

But after class I ran into a student as I was walking to my car and he/she* said (seriously, I'm pretty sure): 'I'm so glad Obama was elected because now we won't have another Great Depression.' I asked what he/she meant and the response was simple: 'Because he's Obama. He'll fix it.'

I see it may be time for a quick lesson on the principle of diminishing expectations. Look, I voted for him and I think he is going to do very well -- but he's not a Saint.

Yet.
CJS

* students may read this -- so I'm not giving anything away for free.

3 comments :

Angel Santos said...

I was directed by Blogger to your blog as soon as I finished a new post on mine:(http://enlamentedekowalsky.blogspot.com)
The reason why I was directed to was, I believe, that my posting also used the expression St Obama (of Chicago)to describe the expectation created by Obama in Spain.
In my blog I talk about what will happen when (more than if) Obama makes the first tough decision that will not be liked by the people here in Europe.
I like your picture of St Obama and would like to use it if you give me permission.
By the way, I took a look at your blog and I liked it very much.
Cheers

French for a While said...

Of course. I just got the photo from google!

Torie said...

You are right on with this comment! People just don't realize how difficult his job is going to be! He is not going to be able to please everyone!