05 November 2008

Who Needs Sleep 5

5:02am. PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA. It's official, the United States has elected Barack Obama as President. They're going crazy in Grant Park.
A colleague who is French asked me the other day if the United States was really going to elect an African American president. I told her that it looked like we would. 'How does America do it?' she asked. 'We love to make fun of you guys for a lot of things, but you really are amazing.'

It is amazing in many ways. The last country in the 'western' world to make slavery illegal has become the first 'western' country to elect a black man as it's President. I recognize a truely historic moment when I see it, and I just saw it.
CJS

6 comments :

islandgirl4ever2 said...

I am sooo proud to live this moment in history, I wish that Obama's grandmom had lived to see this moment of glory!

Anonymous said...

I'm up too. How can you even think about missing this

Vic Heaney said...

Incredible result!

I'm sure that the presence of the Puivert volunteers made all the difference.

Not only were we at the Joe Biden rally on Saturday, today we went into the Obama HQ here in Evansville and offered our encouragement.

Well done, America!

deedee said...

I was up too!

Anonymous said...

I'm always proud to be American. But today I'm a little extra proud!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. You should be proud to be an American today.