19 November 2008

Ship-jacking

I KNOW WHAT hijacking means. I also know what carjacking means. But now I'm getting familiar with shipjacking. I know, it's what pirates have been doing for hundreds of years, but can anyone tell me how a group of 7-8 men can hijack this ship (left) which is the size of the Chrysler Building in New York? It's all of the news and it's becoming a bigger and bigger problem off the coasts of Yemin and Somalia.

But how does it happen? On the wide open seas, how do you acheive the element of surprise? And if you have a $148 million ship carrying $200 million worth of oil, why don't you have a security crew...I don't know...ON THE SHIP? You know, brandishing large(ish) weapons that might deter potential shipjackers? I need answers!
CJS

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the president elect can meet with the pirates to discuss their grievances.

French for a While said...

BH -- don't forget that the president-elect might related to the pirates!

torbjorn said...

argh matey, we are in the wrong line of business it seems...

Your advise would easily be worth $1M to a ship owner, now turn around and re-engineer it for sale to the pirates, and you are be golden.

Anonymous said...

Brent, you're funny. Chuck