20 November 2008

My 'Regular' Bike

IT WAS HARD for me, but I had to do it. I'm a 'roadie' all the way and I've never been interested in mountain biking (or VTT -- vélo tout terrain -- as they say over here). But since P & J are so into riding their bikes, and because Kerri has a hybrid bike, it seemed like a good idea to get a bike that can be ridden in more casual situations. After all, our family would look pretty silly riding down the Promenade des Anglais with the 'dad' decked out in cycling gear on a Bianchi road bike. So a couple weeks ago I broke down and went to Decathlon and bought this bike (left). Nothing too fancy.

And I've got to admit it's kind of fun. Actually, it's really fun to ride on the dirt bike trails. We've taken a couple of nice rides -- one along the bike paths in Villeneuve Loubet and one along the caost in Nice. Both were loads of fun. Now Kerri and the kids just have to decide which is worse: their dad riding with them on a road bike in full cycling gear, or their dad riding with them on a 'regular' bike popping wheelies and looking for all the puddles and jumps like he's 12 year old.
CJS
Late Update: I have since taken the reflectors off the wheels. Ditto for the plastic toe clips.

3 comments :

Bruce Anderson said...

we did the same thing when we moved here...my husband has a LOOK and i have a Lemond, too expensive to just ride into the village for coffee, so we both bought cross bikes, but we are not that into the VTT either, but they are great when it's a bit slick on the roads and you don't have to wear your full kit.

Penny said...

Ah, that is just what my husband would do too! What is it about bikes that brings out the little boy in men?

:)

Unknown said...

Oh congrats! Looks like you are having too much fun... But dare I go there as I don't think that is really possible.