13 September 2007

Phrase of the day

SO VOILA! HERE I am! I know you have all been waiting to hear from me so here I am, exclamation points and all!!! My husband created this blog so that his housewife would have something to do while in France and so far, as you have seen, he has totally taken over the site -- which is probably for the best because if I were to run it you may tire of all the point des exclamations and I would chat and chat and chat incessantly. So I will continue to let my husband be the main point of information and I, when taking a break from all my coffee/croissants/cheese and chocolate, may find time to give you all a little somethin somethin from Kerri, if I can figure out how this blog stuff works!!! Okay, so, I thought to begin with, I would share with you on a regular basis some of the key phrases we have been using since our arrival so you too can practice your French at the same speed we seem to be.

So far, in 3 weeks time the phrase that has become second nature to my mouth, day after day is: "Je suis desole (there is supposed to be a little thingamajig on top of the e but I have no clue how to insert it!), mais, je ne parle pas Francais. Parlez-vous Anglais? You do? Okay, phew.....blah blah blah blah in English!!!"

Okay, so now you have the phrase of the day for our 1st 3 week period. Hopefully, I will be able to update you on a daily basis but I think that may be a tad optimistic! Oh wait, I just remembered, I do have a new phrase of the day but ONLY because P and J are starting to help me out more now---not for my sake but for theirs because they don't want to be embarrassed by their mom's poor speaking habits anymore! Just today on our walk home for lunch we approached a work crew making new pavement to cover the many bumps on the tiny country roads we frequent on a daily basis (do you see what I mean about my chattiness? By chattiness I also imply my lengthy run-on sentences minus appropriate punctuation---please forgive me---I am only human!!!). Now, these tiny chemins (small roads) leave no room for a stroller to pass by when a car is approaching so as you can imagine, with a big tar truck working in the middle of this chemin there was no place to go. So, as we approached the French workmen, they all stopped, stared, I panicked, looked at P and J and said, how do I say, "may we pass by" and without hesitation and mostly out of fear of being embarrased beyond all belief Patrick whispered quickly to me, "Pouvons nous passer, s'il vous plait?" Oh my goodness, Phew!! They understood me thanks to Patrick! Although, Patrick tells me my accent needs help but, hey I don't give a rats terd! As long as I am understood, I'm good, as Uncle Jeremy would say!!!!

So, there you have it! You got 2 for the price of 1 today. Practice those phrases! You will be sure to need them upon your visit. We are having to pass by many people throughout our days and we are having to rely on the Europeans excellent command of a second language to help us out so our 2 phrases above have been most helpful!!!

A tout a l'heure (oh, look I know another phrase!)

KRS

1 comment :

J Perry Stone said...

Can you hear me squawking right now, Ker????

I wish I could have seen you panic.

And wouldn't our HS French teacher be sore if she knew that you spent most of your time in her French class laughing avec moi?

See! That pavement truck incident is the lesson for ya.

And btw, the more French you learn, the choppier your English will become. I cannot WAIT to read these blogs in the Spring.

hahahaha!!!!!!!! (those were for you)

J