15 October 2008

Visitors for the Weekend

LAST WEEKEND WE had a nice treat when some friends from DC stopped by for a couple of days. Derek and Keri were on a touring trip around Europe (plus a quick stop in Africa) and they wanted to spend some time in the South of France -- one of the few parts of the world where they have never been. Since they also wanted to see a friend who is working in Monaco, our house was a good place to use as a base -- and it was great to have them! We've known Derek and Keri for quite a while, going back to our college days (and even earlier!). And Keri was Patrick's first violin teacher! (I think Patrick and Julia were as excited as anyone to have her here!).

We met their friend Tara (those of you who know CUC might recognize all these people in the photos) and the 8 of us spent a great day eating (socca, pizza, gelato), walking around vieux Nice, and hanging out at the beach (temps were about 80 degrees!). We even managed to sqeeze in a church service. You'll enjoy the photo of the avacado flavored gelato -- which is at the best little gelato shop in all of Nice; one that we didn't know about until Tara told us. It features over 93 flavors -- including tomato basil, black olive, and olive oil. I went with rhubarb and it might have been the best single scoop of ice cream I have ever had! The kids also ventured out with some new flavors (Patrick had almond and Julia had bubble gum). But let me once again plug the rhubarb -- incredible.

Socca! See, I'm not making it up.
Nice, October 2008


It's always fun to have friends visit.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wow, the beach looks good! I haven't been to Nice in ages... since I was a kid I guess.

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Looks great!! My hubby and I have actually been to this WONDERFUL gelato place about two years ago when visiting friends in Nice!!!

It amazed me how many flavors they had to offer!! It was sooo difficult for me to decide.. Glad you guys discovered it...