06 March 2008

I Played the 'Dumb American' Card...and it Worked.

I HAVE HAD a bit of trouble on the French roads since I've been here, as evidenced by the two speeding tickets I've received, the two parking tickets that have been issued to me, the two tires that have got flat while I've been driving, and the numerous times I've pulled into the wrong toll booth at the péage. But yesterday, while facing yet another traffic citation, I played the 'dumb American' card. And it worked.

First, let me say that my spotty traffic record should in no way be an indication that I am a poor driver. It should, on the contrary, indicate how stupid French traffic laws can be. For example, in my two speeding tickets (both handed out by traffic cameras) I have been going a combined 7 km an hour over the speed limit. Once I was doing 73 kmh in a 70 kmh zone; and once I was doing 74kmh in a 70kmh zone (note: full disclosure requires me to now point out that both tickets occured at the same spot, so I must bear some of the blame for not learning my lessons the first time -- and for those of you who know the area, it was at the traffic camera in Antibes just north of the Carrefour).

But yesterday was a bit different because for the first time I was pull-over by an actual policeman (police municipal, actually). I was heading home from Cannes with my family and my sister's family following behind in another car. Traffic was a bit heavy since it was nearly 5:00 in the afternoon. I noticed the right lane was moving pretty well so I changed lanes and proceed in the open, virtually car-free lane. As I drove along I noticed periodic large white signs painted on the road that read 'BUS', but I thought it was just a suggestion -- as in 'hey busses, we suggest that you use this lane'. Apparently it's a bit more than that.

After a few blocks a blue-uniformed police officer stepped in front of my path and ushered me to the side of the road. When I rolled down my window he informed me that the right lane was only for busses and wondered why I was driving there. That's when I pulled the dumb American card. Using my best French I said to him (and I'm paraphrasing here): 'What? Buses only? How could I have possibly known that since I am just a stupid American boy. I am so sorry. I trust that a noble person of your stature can find it in your heart to forgive this transgression.'

It worked. He let me go.

Who's dumb now?
CJS

5 comments :

Ksam said...

Are you sure that's all you were going over? Because they automatically deduct a certain percentage off your speed to give you the benefit of the doubt (ie. your speedometer is off, the radar is off, etc). So even though it says you were going 73, you were probably doing closer to 80 (I think they take off 6 or 7%). Which is nice because it will normally drop you down into a lower ticket category, and you'll have less to pay!

French for a While said...

Ah, that could expalin a few things.

Roland said...

Who has time to think of buss lanes. You have a family to get home. Know just how it is. Those photo boxes are a pain in the ...

screamish said...

normally I'd be shocked by such a flagrant abuse! but my experience of cops in france is that generally they're thick as bricks and quite vindictive too...good on ya!

Sorry if anyone's a French cop reading this but honestly, I'd love to be proved wrong....

Jim said...

He was a traffic cop so of course he is thick as a brick and vindictive!!! Next time you'll have to shed a tear or two!!

jim