14 February 2008

My Eyes Made the WiFi Not Work

FOR YEARS I have been living a lie, telling myself that my eyesight is just 'a little worse' than it was when I was 20. I know (and my friends and family know) that I have seen a decline in my vision over the past several years. I have masked this problem by purchasing cheap, non-perscription glasses from grocery stores and keeping them strategically located around the house: a pair in the bedroom, a pair in the living room, a pair in the bathroom (I'm a guy!!), etc. I figured this was OK because I never bought glasses that were more than +1.25.

Well, now it appears that even the glasses aren't working.

For months I have been trying to get our wireless internet to work with no success. Tonight I mustered up enough courage to call our internet provider (for the 3rd time) to inquire about the problem. In very broken French I found out that the problem is with me, not with the internet provider since they told me everything seems to be working well on their end. So I tried again, locating the wirelss access security code and entering it into the appropriate box. But it still didn't work. Finally, I asked Kerri to read the 16 digit-code to make sure I had it right. She began reading: 2DD2 4554...I didn't hear the rest.

Oh crap! Are you kidding me? For the past 4 months I have been trying to get the wireless to work by typing in 4002 as the first four digits. I couldn't see (even with my glasses on, mind you) that it was 4DD2, not 4002.

Well guess what. I'm now sitting on my couch writing this blog entry with no cord attached to my computer -- something I could have done last October if I had a pair of glasses that were +1.50!

That's all for now, I've got to go check what kind of vision plan is covered on my insurance.
CJS

3 comments :

Penny said...

Ha! -1.25, -1.50 - that's nothing. I'm -8.00! I wouldn't even see the *computer* without my contacts :)

La Vie est Belle said...

That was a great post. Glad you got it working! If we could only have the same luck with the water at our house in Mougins. It goes out twice a day, or more.

Anonymous said...

What? This doesn't get a Faux Pas heading? It sure sounds like one to me.