23 January 2008

New Addition to the Family

IN GOOD OL' American fashion, we are a two-car family again. After 4 1/2 months of living with one car, we broke down and bought a second car. Having one car was working, but it got tricky if the weather was bad since Kerri had to walk the kids to school every day. [Note: in case I haven't mentioned it, 'walking the kids to school' sometimes requires Kerri to make 4 round-trips to the school -- mainly because the the kids come home for lunch, thanks to that oh-so-French 2 hour lunch break they have. At 2km per round trip, that's 8km per day. She didn't mind the walking unless, of course, the rains and high winds were present.]

But back to the car. I bought a VW Golf 3 GTI 2.0 (I don't know much about cars so I don't know what anything really means after 'VW Golf'). It's a pretty old car with fairly high mileage but it looks good, runs well, and the price was right. It has a huge new Sony stereo system with speakers in the back window -- a system that is way too powerful for my needs but, hey, it came with the car, right? Actually, it is kind of fun to drive down the road and blast Dream Theater at excesively high decibals (you know, when I'm not listening to Tristan and Isolde). But the bottom line is that it is nice to have a second car. Not very European of us, but convenient to be sure.


How do you like it? I'll give you a nice 'shout out' if you can guess the year by looking at the photo.

[obscure reference guide: Tristan and Isolde]
CJS

6 comments :

French for a While said...

It looks newer, but since you said it's old, I'l go with 1997,

Anonymous said...

94-95 ?

Penny said...

Nice car! No idea about the year though. But I have to say Kerri you are my hero! I cant believe you've been walking 8kms a day to get the kids to school and back. Our walk only takes about 7 minutes and I've been known to complain about that on a wet day :)

Anonymous said...

We - here in Los Angeles (huge city with no public transportation like metro)....have 1 car! How very European of us. It can be a bit tricky sometimes, but we don't have kids and own a business together, so it works. Funny though, because we have a Ford Escape,sorta like a mini suv. When we move to France we want a VW Golf or GTI...they are great cars. Not very good with years, I'll guess 1989. Have fun with it and congratulations to Kerri.

French for a While said...

ANSWER: 1992. But doesn't have a scratch and is great on the inside too.

Nathan said...

Looks eerily similar to my Black 2000 GTI. I would have guessed 93 but its in really good shape, nice snag (obscure mad tv abercrombie spoof reference http://youtube.com/watch?v=m_dyHYuHiMY&feature=related)