06 January 2008

Marche de la Truffe

I'VE TASTED TRUFFLES before, but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale until today. Our village held a large Marche de la Truffe today and the main square was packed full of people wanted to learn more about, and get their hands on some of the the 'black gold'. The Alpes Maritimes and the Var are becoming more and more well known around France for their production of Truffe Noir. At the prices they sell for, I'm thinking about getting in the market myself.

Today's prices: Black truffles were selling for 100 Euros per 100 grams (or, for those of you are are mathematically challenged, 1000 Euros per Kilo). 100 Euro notes were flying around that market like you wouldn't believe. I saw one guy (he happened to be Swedish) put down 700 Euros.

While at the market we did manage to to get a nice lunch of pasta with truffle cream sauce. Delicious!!

1 comment :

J Perry Stone said...

Yeah, this is just too far out of the my frame of reference.

Now if you had blogged about choplets...

J